|The COC Band, May 2013, crowning one year of growth from an initial enrollment of one student.|
|A nice photo montage from our very first concert, Dec. 2012.|
This was at least the third time COC has offered and cancelled a band in its 45-year history, so as the band's music is refiled – along with any hopes for its future – it's worth reviewing some of the good we achieved in but three semesters:
- performance of music from at least six different centuries
- performance of music by some of the word's greatest and most important composers
- commissioning of new music for band
- performance of one World Premiere, with another planned
- guest clinicians who are active professional musicians
- student soloists
- collaboration with student composers
- added value of 'harmonie' and brass ensembles, in addition to the full band
- first performances of newly arranged music, not heard perhaps since 1865, from an archive of Civil War band music, marking the sesquicentennial of the American Civil War
- and what pleased me most, the demonstrated learning, growth, and improvement among the band's players.
So, I say farewell to the band and give thanks to its players and supporters. I'll leave up our Facebook page for a time. It's a nice record of some of the good things we did. You'll find various sights and sounds there from our three interesting and fun concerts, including concert videos, photos, fliers, and programs.
The curtain closes with the last music we made, unaware of how silent we'd be after that good night. If I learn of any new hope for the band, you'll find the news here.