Friday, October 4, 2019

For Sale: Bachalone Trumpet in D / D flat

I'm offering for sale my "Bachalone" trumpet in D and D-flat. Plays great. Sounds great. Great shape.


I had it made around 1986. Bob Malone was gaining worldwide fame with his adaptations of C trumpets, by cutting them down to E-flat trumpets (with his famous S-shaped custom leadpipes), that could also be played in D by using an alternate tuning slide. Such an instrument (in Eb/D) was played by HÃ¥kan Hardenberger on his well-known first CD (1986).


My trumpet started as a Bach large-bore C trumpet. My teacher, Rob Roy McGregor (then of the LA Philharmonic Orchestra), recommended I have Bob make mine in the keys of D and D-flat. I had a nice Schilke D/E-flat, so I didn't need another E-flat trumpet, and there are a few orchestra parts that work nicely on a D-flat trumpet, if only you have one, which almost no one does.


You can see it here in D, with the slightly longer D-flat slide alongside. It also has a "tone-ring" on the third valve. I liked it that way, so the tone ring comes with. The trumpet is not lacquered. Raw brass.


Bell is 229. Lead pipe is MC2S (Malone C2, S-shape). Serial number in the 221xxx series. It has a Bob Reeves valve alignment.


Since it was cut down from a C trumpet, it plays much more like a C trumpet than regular D trumpets. Great for playing D trumpet in an orchestra. Switch out the D tuning slide with the D-flat tuning slide, and you have a D-flat trumpet for special occasions.


I have five D trumpets with valves, and six more without valves. Some people have said this might be more than I need, so I'm selling this one. Actually, I'm also selling a long-bell Bach D trumpet. The three that will remain will suit me fine.


$2,900.00, shipped to CONUS.

Contact: ray@raymondburkhart.com

Interested SoCal locals can come test it.

No comments:

Post a Comment