Friday, June 1, 2012

Premiered: A New Hymn of Mine

On Monday, June 4, 2012, a new hymn of mine was performed during the Annual Meeting of The First Church of Christ, Scientist in Boston, Massachusetts. I am very pleased and honored that my music was selected to be part of this important event. 

The new hymn is an original setting of the poem, “Feed My Sheep,” by Mary Baker Eddy, who founded the worldwide Christian Science church. The music was performed as a vocal solo with piano accompaniment by Seattle (WA) jazz musicians Jay and Tessa Frost. 
In recent years I have devoted more time to composing sacred music, including solos, hymns, and Christmas music. See RaymondBurkhart.com for more about my work and to access the sheet music and recordings in my online store. Click HERE for my three sacred solos: "Psalm 23," "Whither Shall I Go?," and "Come Unto Me." "Come Unto Me" is also available for SATB and solo trumpet (or other solo instrument). Click HERE for links to my Christmas music, which includes my Christmas cantata, "The Little Child," and other choral and brass works. 
My compact disc, Watercolor Menagerie, includes my "Easter Fanfare on Llanfair" (for brass quintet) and instrumental versions of "Psalm 23" and "Come Unto Me." The CD is available for purchase on my site and at CD Baby and iTunes. Other compositions, "Fanfare Processional" and "Rejoice!" (both for three trumpets and organ), are suitable for church (sheet music HERE – recordings at CD Baby and iTunes).

2 comments:

  1. Good work, Ray! Can't wait to hear your new piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Annual Meeting was inspiring and informative. I enjoyed every minute. Jay and Tessa Frost performed my setting of Mary Baker Eddy's poem, "Feed My Sheep," beautifully, tenderly, and meaningfully. I offer my warmest gratitude to the Frosts. In the words of Psalm 96, "O sing unto the Lord a new song." :)

    ReplyDelete